Learn how to add a business to Google Maps with our step-by-step guide.
In our guide to adding your small business to Google Maps, we’ll show you why Maps visibility is critical, then dive into the process of getting your business listed in the Google search environment.
What is Google My Business?
Google My Business (now known as Google Business Profile) is a free tool provided by Google that allows businesses to manage their online presence on Google, including Google Search and Google Maps.
With Google My Business, businesses can create a profile that includes their business name, address, phone number, hours of operation, website URL, photos, and other important information. This information is then displayed in Google search results and on Google Maps, making it easier for customers to find and learn about the business.
Additionally, Google My Business allows businesses to interact with customers by responding to reviews and messages and provides insights into how customers interact with their business online.
Why Adding Your Business To Google Maps Should Be Your Top Marketing Priority
Not sure about how getting your business onto Google Maps is a critical step in your digital marketing efforts? Consider the following points:
It’s a Free Service
Google My Business/Google Business Profile is free to use. Simply claim your business using Google’s interface and follow the instructions to set up your business profile.
Improves Your Businesses’ Online Visibility on Google Search
It has been our experience that when businesses that claim a listing on Google My Business, they gain immediate visibility once the verification process is completed. In a matter of days, your business stands out in search results and gets placed on Google Maps. Customer reviews also become visible to prospective customers, helping encourage them to visit your business.
Once you’ve claimed your Google business listing, there are other review options to consider. Other review platforms such as BBB can also expand your search visibility; learn how to get the most out of this option with our guide to BBB review management.
Make Your Business Searchable With New Customers
Google is one of the leading tools to connect customers with businesses in their area. Getting listed on Google My Business and Google Maps supercharges your visibility, helping potential customers find you first.
The Majority of Prospective Customers Search for a Business Online Before Visiting It
Numerous studies have shown that as many as 94% of all consumers search for businesses online before picking up a phone or paying a visit. If your business can’t be found in a Google search, you’re missing out on new customers.
Having a Google Business Profile Makes Your Small Business Seem More Legitimate
Google My Business was developed to give small business owners a powerful way to stand out in online searches. The Google My Business interface also allows you to create a detailed profile with essential information about your company. This adds no small measure of legitimacy to your business.
Increases Foot Traffic To Your Small Business
If customers can find you online, they’re more likely to visit your establishment. And, every business owner knows that more customers equal more revenue. With great visibility in Google searches, you can increase foot traffic exponentially.
How To Add A Small Business To Google Maps
In this section, step-by-step instructions are provided to make claiming a business listing on Google My Business as easy as possible.
Steps to add a business on Google Maps:
Step 1: Navigate to: https://www.google.com/business/ in your browser.
Step 2: Click on the “Manage Now” in the Top Right Corner of the Tool.
Step 3: Search For Your Business Name and Address in the Search Box. If Your Business Shows Up, Click on It. If Not, Manually Add Your Business Name.
Step 4: Select an Appropriate Business Category. Make Sure It Represents Exactly What Your Business Offers.
Step 5: Verify Your Business. While Usually a Postcard With a Verification Pin is Sent, Sometimes a Text or Automated Phone Call With a PIN is an Option.
How Do I Add My Business to Google Maps on My Phone?
Here’s a brief guide to claiming a business on Google My Business using a mobile phone:
- Download the Google My Business app on your mobile phone from either the App Store for iOS or Google Play Store for Android.
- Open the app and sign in using the Google account you want to use for your business.
- Tap the “Add your business” button on the app’s home screen.
- Enter your business name and address. If your business doesn’t have a physical address, you can select the option to list it as a service area business.
- If your business already has a listing on Google, you’ll be prompted to claim it. Follow the on-screen instructions to verify that you’re authorized to manage the business.
- If your business doesn’t have a listing on Google, you’ll be prompted to create one. Follow the on-screen instructions to provide information about your business, such as your hours of operation and phone number.
- Once your business is verified, you’ll be able to access your Google My Business dashboard to manage your listing, including updating information, responding to reviews, and posting updates.
How Long Does It Take for My Business to Show Up on Google Maps?
The time it takes for a business to appear on Google My Business can vary depending on several factors. If your business is taking a long time to appear, there are several possibilities.
In general, once a business owner has created a listing on Google My Business and completed the verification process, it can take a few days for the listing to appear in Google Search and Google Maps.
However, it’s important to note that Google’s algorithm can take up to several weeks to process fully and index the business information before it appears in search results.
If there are any issues with the listing, such as incorrect or incomplete information, or if Google needs to verify the listing manually, it may take longer for the listing to appear. Additionally, suppose the business is located in a highly competitive area or industry. In that case, it may take longer for the listing to appear due to the high volume of businesses vying for visibility in search results.
Overall, it’s best to be patient and allow a few days to a few weeks for the listing to appear on Google My Business. However, if it still hasn’t appeared after several weeks, it may be worth checking to see if there are any issues with the listing or contacting Google for assistance.
Make Sure You Regularly Update Your Google Business Profile
It’s a good practice to update your Google My Business listing regularly to ensure the information displayed is accurate and up-to-date. Think of your listing as a living document; frequent updates and activity help solidify your position in Google searches.
Here are some guidelines on how often to update your listing:
- Major changes: Any major changes to your business, such as a change in address, phone number, or business hours, should be updated on your Google My Business listing as soon as possible.
- Seasonal changes: If your business has seasonal hours or services, make sure to update your listing accordingly. This includes holidays, special events, or seasonal offerings.
- Reviews and ratings: Keep an eye on your reviews and ratings and respond promptly to any customer feedback. This can help improve your online reputation and customer satisfaction.
- Photos and videos: Add new photos and videos of your business regularly to showcase your products or services and give customers a sense of what to expect when they visit.
- Posts: Use the Google My Business “Posts” feature to share updates, promotions, or any other news related to your business.
Get in the habit of checking your Google My Business listing at least once a month to ensure all the information is accurate and up-to-date. By doing so, you can help improve your online visibility, attract new customers, and keep your existing customers informed.
Staying On Top of Your Google Business Profile
As illustrated in the section above, regular updates help keep your customers informed and your information up-to-date.
Remember, checking your listing about once a month is sufficient; more frequent updates may be needed if you have major changes in contact information, location, or business hours.
As your business grows, more reviews will be submitted by your customers. It is mission-critical to stay on top of those reviews by responding regularly.
Finally, adding photos of your business helps to give your potential customers a feel for what to expect when they visit. Photos are also a great way to showcase your products, your milestones, and your business’s personality.
How to Optimize Your Google Business Profile For Local Search
Claiming your small business on Google My Business/Google Business Profile is an important “first step” in gaining visibility in online searches.
Here are additional tips for optimizing your listing once it has been claimed:
Make Sure Your Small Business Website’s NAP Details (Name, Address, Phone Number) Are Consistent With Your Google Business Listing
Your company’s name, address, and phone number (NAP) are what searchers are looking for. Be sure this critical information is included in your profile.
Embed Your Google Maps Link on Your Website’s Contact Us Page
Now that you’ve been placed on Google Maps, point your website visitors to the map with a link.
Encourage Your Customers To Leave You Positive Google Reviews
Reviews help build engagement and trust. By encouraging your customers to leave great reviews, you help to expand your visibility and, ultimately, brand loyalty.
Create Google Posts to Promote Upcoming Sales or Services
Google My Business provides easy-to-use tools to create engaging posts on your profile. Think of these posts as free ads to boost interest in your company’s products and services.
Add as Many Real Photos of Your Business as Possible (Internal + Externals)
Studies have shown that adding photos of the interior and exterior of your business to your profile gives potential customers an idea of what to expect. Photos also help you stand out in Google Image searches for your business. It is our experience that adding photos to your profile can supercharge your visibility in Google search results.
Respond to Google Reviews When You Start Receiving Them
Respond to every review, positive or negative, as quickly as possible once you’ve received them. This allows you to build engagement, address concerns, and let customers know you care about their feedback.
Google My Business has become an essential tool for small business owners, enabling them to manage and optimize their online presence on Google.
Here are some final thoughts on why Google My Business is vital for small business owners:
- Increased visibility: With a Google My Business listing, small business owners can increase their visibility online and make it easier for potential customers to find them on Google search and Google Maps.
- Accurate information: Google My Business allows small business owners to manage and update important information about their business, such as hours of operation, contact information, and address. This ensures that customers have accurate and up-to-date information.
- Customer engagement: Google My Business allows small business owners to engage with their customers by responding to reviews and messages and posting updates about their business.
- Insights and analytics: Small business owners can use Google My Business to track how customers are interacting with their business online, including how many people are viewing their listing, how customers are finding their business, and what actions they are taking.
- Free tool: Google My Business is free: as a free tool, Google My Business unlocks new opportunities. There’s no downside to claiming your business and setting up your profile.
Google My Business can help small business owners improve their online presence, increase visibility, and engage with their customers, making it an essential tool for any small business owner looking to grow their business.
How to Add A Business To Google Maps FAQs
The following are some of the most common questions the NetReputation Google My Business management team receives:
Why Can’t I Add My Business to Google?
You may be unable to add your business to Google My Business and Google Maps for several reasons. Here are some common reasons:
- Duplicate listing: If there is already a listing for your business on Google Maps, you may be unable to add a new one. Search for your business on Google Maps before attempting to add it.
- Unverified location: If your business is in a new or remote location, Google may not have enough information to verify its existence. In this case, you may need to wait until the location is added to Google Maps or provide additional documentation to verify the location.
- Suspended account: If your Google account has been suspended for violating Google’s policies, you may not be able to add your business to Google Maps.
- Business type not supported: Some types of businesses are not eligible to be listed on Google Maps, such as businesses that are primarily online or don’t have a physical location.
- Incorrect information: If the information you provide when trying to add your business is incomplete, incorrect, or violates Google’s guidelines, your listing may not be approved.
If you are having trouble adding your business to Google Maps, it’s best to review the guidelines and make sure your information is accurate and complete. If you continue to have issues, you can contact Google My Business support for further assistance.
Is Google Maps for Business Free?
Yes, Google Maps for Business is free, and any business owner can use the service’s tools to help improve search visibility.
How Do I Add Multiple Google Businesses?
To add multiple businesses to Google My Business, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Google My Business account.
- Click on the three-line menu icon on the top left corner of the screen.
- Select “Create new business” from the drop-down menu.
- Follow the prompts to enter the information for your new business, including the name, address, phone number, and category.
- Click “Continue” to verify your business information.
- If your business requires verification, follow the prompts to complete the verification process.
- Repeat the process to add additional businesses to your account.
Note that each business you add to your account will require its own verification process. Also, ensure you are authorized to manage the Google My Business listing for each business you add. If you manage multiple businesses, consider using the Google My Business app to easily switch between accounts and manage your listings on the go.
Contact NetReputation Today for Google My Business Listing Services
Business owners know that managing a business is a full-time job. When you are trying to grow your company, you may not have the time to focus on the tools that can improve your visibility in online searches. NetReputation can help.
With our customized Google My Business services, our team of digital marketing and reputation management professionals can help take your business to the next level. We manage all aspects of your listing for you, including:
- Creating engaging, relevant, and impactful profiles.
- Monitoring feedback and messages posted by customers.
- Optimizing listings for maximum engagement and search visibility.
NetReputation is a trusted resource for business owners. Call our team today at 844-461-3632 to learn more about our business-oriented range of services or to get started on optimizing the Google business app. If you prefer, you can contact us online to be put in touch with a representative. NetReputation is ready to help you get the most out of Google My Business and the business app.